Thursday, October 11, 2012

Breakfast Sausage...


I apologize from the bottom of heart for being away so long...So much has gone on in the last 30 days.The time just flew by. Now we are finally starting to have some fall weather. We are expecting our first rain in 100+ days. It will be a welcome change. We like our rain in the Northwest and our big trees need it right now. So get out your coats and galoshes and bring on the RAIN! 


I began my yesterday by making some breakfast sausage. I dearly love bacon and sausage. But when I go to the store and look at the labels of sausage and the preservatives and additives and fillers, I just end up setting it back down and walking away. It dawned on me that people have been making their own sausage for hundreds of years. I know my grandparents did and most probably so did yours. So, I did a little research and found so many recipes! There are a few great ones out there. The common ingredients are sage, thyme and rosemary ...I ended up using Alton Browns recipe, but took a few shortcuts...you can never go wrong with Mr. Brown!


1 pound fresh ground pork
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

pretty simple really...I also added some ground sage, for extra sagieness....

add it all to the ground pork, (you are not going to measure are you?) Stir it together well, yes, use your hands...

Now you want this to rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight...it you would like you can cook a small piece to see if you need to add more spices...you can shape it into a log, or round or patty's...

fry over medium heat in your favorite yellow pan until done!

A great way to start your week-end!!! Oh, and am I ever so happy to be back to my happy place!

Cheers to Happy  !!




1 comment:

  1. My Mom was a huge pork lover and so am I. Her grandparents made their own sausage, I am certain.

    ReplyDelete