Sunday, November 14, 2010

Butternut Squash-Sweet Potato Au Gratin

You know you are old when you LOVE squash...when you willingly cook it and eat it....and sweet potatoes in the same sentence! Oh my! I remember as a child hiding my squash in my napkin and then excusing myself and taking it to the bathroom garbage...(sorry Mom).....I actually vowed when I grew up I would never eat squash again! Hah! That is so funny to me now! I love squash! Love it! This is a wonderful side dish...it would be great for the holiday, but just as good with a baked chicken or pork roast.....

Butternut Squash-Sweet Potato AuGratin
Ingredients (serves 6)
14 oz butternut squash
14 oz  sweet potatoes
1 onion, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup half and half
1 tbsp butter
pinch of nutmeg
3 oz of cheddar or jack cheese, shredded
3 sprig of parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
Preheat the oven at 350ºF
Butter a baking dish, round or square.
Peel the squash and sweet potatoes then cut them into 1/8 inch slices....
Heat the olive oil in a pan and saute the onion
Add the squash and sweet potatoes and saute 10 min, stirring frequently. They should stay firm. Season with salt and pepper and transfer into the baking dish.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, cream and nutmeg. Add half the cheese. Pour over the squash and sweet potatoes.
Top with remaining cheese and Bake 35 min then after taking out top with chopped parsley.

prepare your vegetables.....

cook in a saute pan....

until half done....

mix the eggs and half and half and half the cheese....and nutmeg...very important to the flavor....

put vegetables in a baking dish and pour over the cream and the sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top....

put in the oven for 35 minutes and then take out.....

top with the parsley....

oh so good and flavorful!!!!!

Enjoy!!!

Cheers to Happy  !!

2 comments:

  1. This looks just delicious. I agree; never thought I would LOVE squash, but I do. I think I will have to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Mom empty the bathroom trash can? I bet she knew!

    ReplyDelete