Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tenderizing Steak...

I read about this procedure for tenderizing a steak a while back...it is a simple procedure and there is a real Alton Brown reason that it works, as in there is a scientific reason, much like aging meat, tenderizes it....but the story goes that you can turn a tough cheap steak into a beautiful expensive cut....I was a bit of a doubting Thomas and very skeptical...but thought I would give it a whirl.....and it really works!

buy the inexpensive steak you see on sale....mine was a flat iron steak, that is really a piece of chuck steak, looks very tough to me....put it in a dish.....

liberally salt...yes you heard me right, salt the heck out of it....I used pink Himalayan salt, but it would be better to use larger kosher salt or rock salt....leave the salt on for 1 hour per inch thick....so a half inch.. half hour, or 2 inches.. two hours....

mine was one about an inch thick...this was the picture after a half hour....it is starting to water...that is what it does...it draws the moisture out of the steak...and starts the molecules to tenderize.....

after an hour...much more water...that is good...now rinse all the salt off and pat it dry.....the season as you would like....I wouldn't add much salt as it does pick up some of the salt that you used....

cook as you like and to desired doneness......medium for me please!

this truly works...this was a delicious and very tender steak! Who knew?

Cheers to Happy  !!

1 comment:

  1. Man! And all this time I have been chewing, chewing, chewing. I am going to five this one a try, too.

    ReplyDelete