Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mustard Greens...


Mustard Greens, a very interesting leaf. I had it the first time a couple of weeks ago at an Italian restaurant with a steak. It may not be  surprising to you but it was to me, mustard greens taste like, well, mustard. Really. like a spicy hot mustard to be exact. Have you ever tried mustard greens? Related to kale, cabbage, and collard greens, they are the peppery leafy greens of the mustard plant and are used frequently in Chinese, Japanese, and Indian cooking. I find them less bitter than kale or collard greens, and more peppery, like arugula. Just one taste of a raw leaf and you’ll know it came from a mustard plant. Cooked, they taste a lot like spinach, but with more body, and spice. I knew I had to make them at home. I also have already planted some in my garden. When you buy them at the store they are very cheap. 1.49 for a huge bunch!

I know, I know, the picture is blurry. You will need a little chopped onion, a couple cloves of garlic, salt and pepper, olive oil and lemon. And of course the main event, the mustard greens. You can tear or cut the greens in to pieces. They cook down like spinach. So this is just enough for 2 servings.

Have everything ready. This goes together in a matter of minutes. Saute a half a cup of chopped onion in the oil over medium high heat, until tender crisp and  add the chopped garlic...cook for another minute and...

  add the torn mustard green leaves. toss in the oil

and  grate the lemon peel over the top , squeeze a half of a lemon over the top. Toss again and serve!

This would be so great with bratwurst or chicken also. I had mine with breaded pork chops, and it was so good!!! You will love this!!!!

Cheers to Happy  !!

No comments:

Post a Comment