Say what? Quinoa Pizza Crust....Hmmmm, I wasn't so sure I would like this, or that it would even work out. Sounds strange, crust made out of quinoa...I am not a fan of Quinoa. I have a great big bag that I bought at Costco a while back...I know it is good for you, and that it is a super food... that is an ancient grain...it takes the place of rice in many dishes, but I like rice so why would I want to replace it? Any way this pizza crust got such good reviews I had to try it. And it is very good! kind of the texture of cornbread but a little denser. I would definitely serve it to pizza loving friends!
Quinoa Pizza Crust
- 1½ cups organic quinoa (uncooked)
- ⅛ to ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Basil (fresh chopped or dried)
- Oregano (fresh chopped or dried)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic (or more)
- Soak Quinoa overnight in a large mixing bowl filled with water.
- Rinse quinoa well and drain.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In your blender blend quinoa, egg, oil, and garlic. Blend in vinegar(I used 3 splashes from my bottle. It was between ⅛ and ¼ cups). Blend in spices to taste.
- Grease skillet, pie pan, or cake pan. Pour in batter. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip. Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Top and enjoy.
Soak the Quinoa overnight or all day long, at least eight hours...
drain...then put the Quinoa, oil, garlic and vinegar in the blender...
blend until smooth...add spices and blend some more, you will have to stop and stir it several times...I also added a little salt and pepper...almost the consistency of hummus, even smells like hummus...
I made mine in a cast iron skillet, next time I will make it thinner...maybe by half...so instead of a 10 inch pizza I would get 2/10 inch pizza's....or you could make several small personal pan pizzas on a cookie sheet....
after 10 minutes flip over,
I cooked the other side for 6 minutes, took it out and topped with the pizza sauce and meat, mushrooms and fresh mozzarella cheese..
another 10 minutes in the 400 degree oven and it was done!
I cut it and peppered it and it was ready to eat!
So good and healthy too!!! It doesn't get much better than this!!!
Cheers to Happy !!