Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lidia's Meatballs....

Lidia's famous meatballs or my cousin Susan's....or they could be yours, you choose....

For my BIG Birthday my cousin made me dinner...lovingly and tenderly and gluten-free...she made me dinner....this is her famous recipe, she claims it is Lidia's...I claim it is my cousin Susan's...and if you make it, you can claim it yours! Lidia Bastianich is one of the most-loved chefs on television, a best-selling cookbook author, and restaurateur. ......My cousin adjusted some of ingredients just for me...the gluten free outcome did not change a thing!
This is (and I promise, cross my heart) the best meatball recipe you will ever make!!!!  And might I add right here, right now, I am so bummed about my birthday 'year'.... and I will not dwell on it...I will simply deny it and forget it! there, birthday? what birthday?

Lidia's Meatballs
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup shredded parmigiana reggiano cheese
1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh pepper

all purpose flour for dredging
1/4 cup olive oil
you mix the first 9 ingredients together...in a bowl...my cousin used Johnsonville Italian sausage for the pork sausage and very lean ground beef for the beef....she also doubled the recipe, so we would have plenty of leftovers.....


here is everything except the parsley...in a bowl....

lots of flat leaf parsley..chopped...fresh parsley makes all the difference...

mix it all together and then ....

roll in flour to coat the meatballs....

place them aside and wait until all are done to fry...

these are large meatballs and take some time to fry...allow for lots of time...
 brown on all sides....

when finished...add the sauce of your choice to the pan and cover and let simmer at least 30 minutes....

at that time you can cook your noodles.....

check that wonderful sauce again and time to dish up!!!!

there you go... simple noodles, simple sauce and the MOST exciting meatballs you will ever eat!!!!!oh and a little fresh Parmesan...

save room for cake!

Cheers to Happy  !!

4 comments:

  1. When I make these, we tend to eat them two or three days in a row...then I freeze the rest for quick dinners. They freeze very well. Thanks Lydia, for a favorite staple around our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. real tasty!! thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am haunted by that beautiful chocolate cake....May I have the recipe? Please, I am most appreciative for your considerations!
    Bon Appetite!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete