Wednesday, June 22, 2011

GF State Fair Corn dogs....


My granddaughter Misty had a girl sleeping over, and she came into the kitchen and asked if I had anything Gluten-free that her friend could have for breakfast....Yippee!!!! I could hardly wait to feed this girl...she had cereal with blueberries and some cinnamon chip toast....I asked by any chance would she be here for dinner and she answered yes and then my heart skipped a beat...yes, I get to feed a child gluten free...when I make anything anymore my granddaughter looks at it skeptically and suspects everything might taste weird...I couldn't wait to feed a child who will appreciate my creative endeavors!!  I did a little research and found a recipe for corn dogs...What kid doesn't like corn dogs?

                                Fair Corn dogs, deep fried, crisp with quality hot dogs....mmmmm..
                                                                      she is going to love this

I found this recipe on line at Gluten Free girls blog....they looked so good...I did change it up a little...I am not sure that I did something wrong, but it was a little too runny and the corn dogs did not 'puff' up like I wanted them to...I added about a cup of GF Bisquick and they were absolutely Divine after that....

the recipe is written for the flour to be weighed...that could have been my problem...not to sure my old scale is very accurate.....you really don't have to weigh it is equal amounts of flour and cornmeal...each a cup

1 cup GF all purpose flour or regular flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2  teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
3/4 cup of milk
 hot dogs
and skewers....
I doubled this recipe....and I had enough for about 20, 6 inch hot dogs....

add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pepper, and whisk together...then add the egg and milk and stir.....

you can see here it was kind of thin....if you are making this with regular all purpose flour the end result will still  be perfect.....

put the batter in a tall glass.....my hot dogs were the foot longs...I cut them in half and added the skewers....they look like Popsicles...

deep fry oil was at 375 degrees....after the first one that I deep fried, I went back and stirred in 1 cup of GF Bisquick, you want pancake batter consistency....you can see the thin crusted ones in the background.....


swirl the hot dogs and ....

drop slowly in the oil by the skewer stick....restaurant hint: (hold in the oil about 30 seconds and then drop and they wont stick in the bottom)....

they take about 4-5 minutes to cook...you will know by the color that they are finished....

so absolutely perfect...these are the best corn dogs I have ever eaten, I guess I should validate that statement by adding that I have eaten my share of corn dogs....years ago I worked at the fair at the corn dog booth...the ones I made just the right amount of cornmeal, sugar and salt and pepper, they gave the batter a great flavor....

Just add a little mustard and enjoy the best meal on a stick!!!! (and my new little friend loved them!) 

Cheers to Happy  !!

1 comment:

  1. Great. Hungry again. Especially for a good corn dog.

    ReplyDelete