Sunday, June 20, 2010

John Wooden's fathers legacy...

Is “leadership” applicable only in sports or corporate world? How do you become a leader for your kids? How do you lead them to become a better person, a better citizen, a better worker, a better leader?
John Woodens father, Joshua, knew how....

Joshua Wooden..

When his third son, John, graduated from eighth grade in his small country school, Joshua gave him a card and said, “Son, try to live up to this.” On one side was a verse that read:


Four things a man must learn to do
If he would make his life more true:
To think without confusion clearly,
To love his fellow man sincerely,
To act from honest motives purely,
To trust in God and heaven securely.

On the other side was a seven-point creed that read:

Be true to yourself
Help others
Make friendship a fine art
Drink deeply from good books
Make each day your masterpiece
Build a shelter against a rainy day
Give thanks for your blessings and pray for guidance every day.

John kept that card in his wallet for decades until it fell apart. Eighty years after receiving it, he still knew the words by heart.


John's father kept teaching his son long after he left home,...on the birth of his grandson, Joshua gave John a poem that for 65 years has been framed on his office wall as a reminder...

The Son follows the Father


A little fellow follows me.
I know I dare not go astray;
For fear he’ll go the self-same way.
He thinks that I am good and fine;
Believes in every word of mine.
The base in me he must not see;
This little chap who follows me.
I must be careful as I go;
Through summer sun and winter snow.
Because I am building, for the years to be;
This little chap who follows me.

On this day, Fathers Day, I honor one of my great teachers, my Dad.....Whiskey Bill...who, even though he has passed away is still teaching some of lifes greatest lessons....


Cheers to you Dad!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment