When life gives you lemons you make lemonade and when your bananas are blackish you make Banana Bread...I love Banana Bread...I love it with nuts and I love it with chocolate chips...And I love it with both....This recipe is a little different...it has apricot jam in it...it adds a whole other flavor and moistness...it is so wonderful...
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at cool room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar, light or dark, firmly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium or 2 large bananas)
3 tablespoons apricot jam or orange marmalade, optional but tasty
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
2 1/4 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
2) In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, beating till smooth.
3) Add the mashed bananas, jam, honey, and eggs, again beating until smooth.
4) Add the flour, then the walnuts, stirring just until smooth.
5) Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top. Let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
6) Bake the bread for 45 minutes, then gently lay a piece of aluminum foil across the top, to prevent over-browning.
7) Bake for an additional 25 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven; a long toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center should come out clean, with at most a few wet crumbs clinging to it. The tester shouldn't show any sign of uncooked batter. If it does, bake the bread an additional 5 minutes, or until it tests done.
8) Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove it from the pan, and cool it completely on a rack
perfect bananas for bread...perfect....
inside the are soft and fragrant.....
put your butter in a large bowl with the top 7 ingredients....and cream together...no need to drag out the mixer, you can easily mix this by hand.....
add eggs, honey and jam...again stir until very incorporated....
mix in flour and nuts and again mix well....
place in 9x5 pan and bake...according to directions...
oh so good! it slices well and is so full of fruity flavor!
Cheers to Happy !!