Monday, August 16, 2010

Gram's Chocolate Cake...



I know it is summer and everything should be about summer fruit but I have been craving something chocolate.....I decided to make my grandmothers recipe for Chocolate cake, this is her, Maude Swalander, in the photo to the left in about 1942....many many many years ago (really many) I wrote a cookbook of my grandmothers recipes...she was the most wonderful cook...Everything she made was the best....so after she died I copied her recipes, all the little scraps of paper that she had collected...I still love to look at them...all in her hand writing....She was famous for her chocolate cake....she had made the same recipe ever since she was a young bride. No one remembers where the recipe came from...she was asked to bring it to PTA functions, birthday's and Grange meetings...Grama frosted this cake usually with 7-minute frosting...sometimes she put peppermint in it and tinted it pink...it was so beautiful...



That is my mother in the picture with my Grama...I love that picture...and I love cake! Cake that tastes like cake and not like soft bread.....hmmmm cake.....

Chocolate Cake
1/2 cup butter softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs well beaten
1 cup of buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanila
3 cups of flour
4 tablespoons heaping of cocoa powder
2 level tsp soda dissolved in boiling water

Grama didn't give baking instructions for this, but here goes my version!
cream the butter and sugar in a bowl for 1 minute then add beaten eggs, and cream for another 2 minutes,
add buttermilk, salt and vanilla...cream for another couple of minutes...in the meantime sift the flour and cocoa powder together and dissolve the soda in the water, add the flour mixture alternately with the water...pour into baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes, do not overbake....frost with your favorite frosting!
add the butter and sugar together in the mixing bowl....whip together...

beat your 2 eggs...

add the eggs....

then the buttermilk...

sift the flour with the cocoa powder....I am sure
Grama sifted flour.....
should look like this at this point..

sifted...pretty huh?

I cup boiling water and the soda...this is another science project.....stir it up....

start adding the flour mixture and water alternately   



should look like cake mix.....

get your pans ready...here is a hint...use cocoa powder on the pans, then you won't have funny white stuff...

pop in the oven at 350....

cooked and ready to frost...this is a very dense cake...not dry, but dense....

I frosted my cake with buttercream frosting....it is my favorite, with chocolate cake...but use what you like!

Cheers to Happy  !!

No comments:

Post a Comment