Thursday, August 5, 2010

Chicken...I got chickens!

For a very, very long time I have wanted laying hens....and now finally I have them....first we had to build their hen house...I used our old garden shed, and then built the fencing, so they would have a nice play yard...when all was ready to go we went to the feed store to get the food we would need...we got some 'scratch' too and some 'grit'...who knew they needed grit, that is little gravel...they need that to digest their food....

this is the ex-garden shed now new chicken house....I build a little garden onto it and a real nice brick step...you know they are really going to appreciate that....this picture was before the fence was finished in their play yard....
this is the inside, they each have their own box....they now have shaving on the floor and in their box....the man at the feed store said shavings and not straw....I thought straw would be so cute! So I got shavings and sprinkled them everywhere...
then we went to see the 'chicken man'...he was a very serious dude...very serious about his chickens...
the two red hens are called the 'twins' and the black one appropriately is called 'mama'

these are the other two, the big red is named 'miss america' and the darker of the other two is named 'buttercup' and the other is 'clover'...we right away gave then some lettuce and carrots, my granddaughter brought them out some apple, they loved that!

this is why 'mama' is so named...with-in 3 hours she produced an egg! I love her so much!
the egg was almost hot to the touch....and absolutely clean and perfect! Oh the egg dishes that are coming up!

Cheers to Happy  !!

No comments:

Post a Comment