Monday, September 20, 2010

High School Reunion...

Sumner High School class of 1970

Months ago I realized my 40th class reunion was coming up.....I have never been to one of our reunions and I sure was not planning on going to this one.....I was 'friends' with alot of my high school friends and acquaintances on facebook and read alot of talk about it....I don't think I gave any input...One of my 'friends' got as many e-mails as he could and sent around a questionnaire about if we had a reunion, what kind would we like...it was harmless and I was sure he needed my opinions! So I gladly gave him mine....

He compiled all the responses and named the members of the committee when he sent out to everyone the responses...uh-huh, my name was on there as a committee member...

I didn't say much about it...just read the e-mail correspondence back and forth, there was alot of talk about catering.....I kept my mouth tightly shut...heck I was not taking that kind of criticism from my former classmates (by the way, it is a huge fault of mine, no criticism, nope none) so they found someone for that, I breathed a big sigh, I dodged that bullet...

And then there was the discussion about the bar..., I still wasn't even planning on going...and that is when I started to fold, ok I knew the bar business and I could get discounted alcohol...alright there I was volunteering and committing to going to the reunion...so that is how I so reluctantly got to my high school reunion....I planned the bar, hired my girl Sarah to bartend...so far so good...the week prior I had nightmares...it was so horrible...I did not want to go back to high school again...it wasn't that much fun for me...I have changed and grown so much...that little inferior girl had grown into a woman with great big high self esteem...I sure didn't want to go back....

Now here is why I am telling you all of this....I WAS WRONG.....It was so much fun! Fun, Fun, Fun!!!!
They were the nicest group of people I have ever met...they were people I loved and missed...what the heck was I thinking? all over people tell reunion horror stories.....wrong, wrong, wrong....it was so wonderful to look in the eyes of my dear friends and see the life they have lived. It was right there in their kind smiles and cheeks and eyes....the genuine happiness everyone had to see each other was so heart warming....it was like going to a big wedding party and everyone is happy, and glad to see each other and dancing and laughing...

Helpful hints when going to your reunion:

1.    Bring your reading glasses! this is a big one....because I guarantee you won't even recognize your locker partner....and you will need them to read name tags....

2.    Fake like you remember people...Stick out your hand, say your name and shake hands and pray that they will say their name....

3.     If at that time you still don't know who they are, act like you do...say things like "it has been so long" and "you look great"...never admit they look so different, you have no idea who they are...

4.    Tell everyone things like "you haven't aged a bit"..."I would know you anywhere"..."it has been so many years, you haven't changed"

you know the song that was popular a few years back 'I hope you dance' by  Lee Ann Womack?
well I want all of you that are on the fence about attending your reunion to just say yes...you won't be sorry, I promise.....I hope you dance.....

Cheers to Happy  !!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Debbie, Great job on this. So glad it turned out to be so much fun! Love ya, Dar

    ReplyDelete