Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tollhouse Pie...

I don't think I told you I started my working career as a baker....When I was at my interview, the interviewer asked how many pies I had made at one time and I proudly said 4 or 5...he said "what would you think of making 70-80 pies a day?" Holy Guacamole! Did he say 70-80 pies? After I caught my breath I answered that I surely thought I could do that....knowing full well I had no idea how to make that many!  I learned really fast just how to do it...this pie was one of the most loved...it is gooey and flaky and chocolaty and buttery....

Tollhouse Pie
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon of vanilla
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
8 oz (about 1¼ cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips (not optional)
1 9 inch pie shell

Directions

1.) Preheat your oven to 350° F with the rack set in the center.
2.) Once the crust is ready, make the filling, but keep the pie shell in the freezer while you do so. Whisk together the flour and sugars in a mixing bowl and set aside
3.) With your mixer, beat the eggs on high speed until very foamy – about 3 minutes. Switch to the paddle attachment and with the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer to high and beat for 2 minutes.
4.) Add the butter, and beat on high until combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides, and then beat on high for another minute. Remove the bowl from the stand and then fold in the walnuts and ¾ cup of the chocolate chips.
5.) take the pie shell and pour in the filling. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips over the top and bake for 25 minutes. Wrap the crust in foil so it doesn’t get too brown, (if you need to) and then bake for another 25 minutes or until a cake tester is clean when inserted and removed.
6.) Cool the pie on a wire rack before slicing. Serve with vanilla ice cream, or milk...

2 eggs in the bowl....

whip the eggs for 3 minutes...

they will be very frothy.....

then beat in the dry ingredients, one spoon at a time...whip until very smooth...

beat in the softened butter, a spoon at a time.....and add the vanilla...and yes this is an awful lot of butter....but can your really have to much butter?

stir in the the chocolate chips and toasted walnuts.....

Spread in prepared crust....

spreading....

press more chocolate chips on top...

place in 350 degree oven for exactly 50 minutes.....

cool slightly and serve......

serve with ice cream.....oh man, I can't begin to tell you how good this is! Serve warm or cold...I seriously can't decide which is better!!!!

Cheers to Happy  !!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, man! It's five o'clock in the morning here and this has made me so hungry! Sigh. I'll just keep drinking my coffee.

    ReplyDelete