Friday, March 12, 2010

Red Willow Basket...

This is a picture of my daughter Becky...she lives in Taos, New Mexico...she is standing on the edge of the Rio Grande...it runs right through Taos and it has lots of red willow on the shores....years ago the Native Americans and Pueblo Indians made baskets out of the willow, my great Uncle used to make baskets out of hazel, but that is another story....Becky found a man who still made baskets there in town and he taught her to make them......(don't you just love her red coat!)

here you can see the willow along the River....

the willow wisps...look like this, you can only do this in the winter when they have no leaves...

they are very easy to work with then....boy I wouldn't want a spankin' with one of those...

here is her materials all laid out....

and here she is starting to 'build a basket'.....

this is the cross....

here she is building it up more.....

then she puts in the ribs.....

and she is ready to start weaving.....and this is her cat, who talks...really talks...

look here she is almost finished!......and ready to send to her......

Mother for her birthday!!! Yay, I got the basket, Yay!!! I might of got it because of the envy I couldn't hide when she made one for Sarah for Christmas...I really didn't go on and on, about how I would love a basket...really I didn't......

Cheers to Happy  !!

3 comments:

  1. That is the most awesomest birthday present! Becky is one talented lady. I've always wanted to learn how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool. Becky - "you go girl".

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really a nice little basket. Wouldn't that make Uncle Frank proud? Well done, Becky, and "lucky you", Deb!

    ReplyDelete