Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday Church Day




Saint Patrick's Cathedral is a decorated Neo-Gothic-style Catholic cathedral church in the United States. It is the seat of the archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, and a parish church, located on the east side of Fifth Avenue between 50th and 51st Streets in midtown Manhattan, New York City, New York. It faces Rockefeller Center.





On August 15, 1858, the cornerstone was laid, just south of the diocese's orphanage. At that time, present-day midtown Manhattan was far north of the populous areas of New York City.




Work was begun in 1858 but was halted during the Civil War and resumed in 1865. The cathedral was completed in 1878 and dedicated on May 25, 1879, its huge proportions dominating the midtown of that time. The archbishop's house and rectory were added from 1882 to 1884, and an adjacent school (no longer in existence) opened in 1882. 



This is a very beautiful church inside, up in front under the alter there are 13 people entombed. Most archbishops. The church is used in many movies and is the subject in many books. A few years ago, I was lucky enough to go to New York. I put on my nicest travel clothes and healed sandals and walked the million blocks to church. By the time I arrived I had so many blisters...oh man...so much for beautiful..I walked about a half a block back to the hotel before stopping at a 'I heart NY 'shop and buying some, one size fits all, NY flip flops that I wore the rest of the trip.
I took this great shot of St Pat's, across the street , from the top of the Rockefeller Center


Notice the difference around the church from the late 1800's compared to today...In the 1800's the church was out of town, well I'd say town found it....

Cheers to Happy  !!

No comments:

Post a Comment