Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dad's Turkey Dressing....



As far back as I can remember my Dad made Thanksgiving dinner and the stuffing. All the family would gather together and many friends.  

He would get up in the night about 2 in the morning and put the huge turkey in the oven and the giblets on to simmer and then around dawn he would start the stuffing....I watched him many times...there was no recipe, just a procedure....he would go by sight ,then he would taste it until he had it seasoned just right...he always used lots of bacon, onion, celery,  the giblets, the broth from the giblets, plus chicken broth, butter, lots of salt and pepper and lots of sage, eggs and canned milk and mixed it in that big yellow tupperware bowl, you know the one. 

Every year our whole family looked forward to Dad's stuffing...He would stuff as much as he could in the turkey and the rest in a casserole...(the best is in the turkey)......on Thanksgiving 2005...I had worked all day and on my way home called to tell Mom and Dad happy thanksgiving...they asked if I wanted them to send any leftovers home with my sister and I said well yes of course the stuffing...so there it came in the plastic sour cream container,

I ate some and put the rest in the freezer..in December 2005  Dad suffered a stroke and passed away...after Dad died I remembered the stuffing....the coveted stuffing...I was the luckiest girl in the whole wide world....
                                   







I will show it to you, it lives right here in the garage freezer...next to my berry collection....I will show you what it looks like inside, no one would eat it now....







Maybe someday I will throw it away....nah I won't, maybe my children will....




There are many different kinds of stuffing, there is sage stuffing, apple and cranberry, nut and wild rice, oyster stuffing, cornbread stuffing, they are all good. Tomorrow I will show how to make a version of Dad's stuffing...but with mushrooms.


Cheers to Happy  !!

No comments:

Post a Comment