Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap



This is the first time I have ever done this, making laundry soap.....I frankly don't know anyone who has, either. It is so easy to make, very inexpensive, works wonderfully well, is hypoallergenic, the laundry comes out fresh and clean,  how could you go wrong? I know you all are saying why? Well I say, why not?




Just a few simple ingredients,
3 bars of Fels Naptha Bar Soap
4 lbs of Borax
4 lbs of Arm and Hammer super washing Soda
4 lbs of Baking Soda


You need to first grate the Fels Naptha, you can do this by hand or ....

cut in chunks like cheese and put it through your ...

food processor....(still looks like cheese)

Here is the Borax, Washing Soda and Baking Soda
I bought all the ingredients at Fred Meyer in the laundry soap section
(someone else must be making soap)

Weigh out 4 lbs of each one......

mix all together in a tub

Put on your pretty pink gloves and really mix it up....



and there it is ready to go!
You use just 1 or 2 tablespoons of the powder
for each load.....this soap should last me 6 months...
the cost was about $12.50...




What a fun bio-degradable 'green' project!


                          
Look no suds, rinses clear...and yes I mix yellow and light blue with white.....


Very fresh and clean, has that outdoor smell....


Cheers to Happy  !!



4 comments:

  1. I think this sounds like a great idea. I wonder if it is any better for the septic system than other soap. I have been told to use the liquid soap rather than the powdered, but this seems like it would be more dissovable? than the other dry soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy. This is the best idea. I went to Fred Meyer and bought the ingredients. I went right home and found all sorts of things that I could wash. And just let me say, this soap works really well. So well in fact I used it for washing some dishes, too. So just so you know this cuts grease way better than Dawn. So give it a try. I might it as shampoo. Well that might be excessive. So you try it and let me know. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE this idea! I'm going to make some too:) Thank you for sharing your great recipes! I might just add some essential oils too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I made some about two weeks ago and love it! Cheers to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete